Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fish Tacos

Soft tacos are one of my favorite summer dishes. They're along the line of the grilled protein, grilled vegetable and bean summer routine I've talked about before - in this case you just throw the grilled protein in a corn tortilla and add some fixin's and you're done.

I think fish tacos are my favorite, they're a perfect light meal. We normally use whatever white fish is least expensive that day - preferably something firm. This time we used cod, but halibut is also delicious. We dressed the tacos with slaw, a spicy sauce, and some pico de gallo.



I made the slaw with red and green cabbage, lime juice, a touch of oil, honey, salt and pepper - I over limed which is why I added the honey but it was good with it. The spicy sauce was just equal parts mayo and sour cream (in this case both low fat because that's what we had in the fridge!) a bit of the adobo from a can of chipotles, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Ron made a pico with chopped tomatoes, a jalapeno, red onion, garlic, lime juice, salt and pepper.

The fish was just seasoned with s&p and baked - there was a lot going on in these tacos and we didn't want to over do it! I know a lot of fish tacos come with fried fish - I'll like to get these when I go out but at home it's so much easier to just grill or bake the fish.

I made "refried" beans - not really refried because it was just a drained can of pintos, a chopped plum tomato, chipotle, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and parsley all mixed together and smashed with a fork. If the beans start to dry out just add some stock until they're the consistency that you like. I make this all the time and LOVE it - it's not refried in lard but still has the refried texture. Refried bean connoisseurs might scoff at these but I think they're delicious! We also grilled some red peppers and zucchini's with olive oil, s&p.




This sort of turned into a feast - I was half way through my second taco and had to give up. And I'm positive it had nothing to do with the fact that I'm still getting home from work and immediately making a B line for this.

*I forgot to mention that this dinner would be awesome with a Michelada - have you tried them? I haven't yet but they're on my "To Make" list. Check out this recipe and picture over at Food Woolf.

**Update: Last night Ron made Micheladas and I think they are gross - I really wanted to like them but I couldn't take a sip without making a I-want-to-spit-this-out face. Bummer.

2 comments:

OP2MIST said...

How about having "guest eaters"? You're meals look AMAZING. I'm glad you give "hints" of ingredients - i don't require the EXACT ingredients -- just a guidline. I'm glad I discovered your blog via MB - the new MRS. "OTIS"......

eatingoodinthehood@gmail.com said...

Thanks Helen! I'm glad MB's blog directed you over here. As far as recipes go I figure it's just cooking - put in whatever makes it taste good to you!