Sunday, July 6, 2008

Coquette Bistro & Bar

I didn't really plan on reviewing restaurants on this blog but we had such delicious snacks and bargain drinks yesterday that it would be rude for me not to share. We decided that in complete contrast to our binge beer drinking and rib eating on the 4th that we'd put on some nice clothes (by that I mean not jeans and Phillies t-shirt) and go out for oysters and dirty martinis! I ride my bike past Coquette Bistro & Bar every day and I've been wanting to go since it opened. So yesterday when Ron said he wanted oysters I remembered that Coquette had a sign outside advertising a happy hour with drink specials and half price oysters until 7:30 EVERY day. Happy hour specials on a Saturday? Um...okay!


I ordered their house sparkling wine and Ron had an Absolut dirty martini - both drink specials were just $5. My wine was really good - but I always love sparkling wine. Ron liked his martini, too - they're a little too strong for me but the olive was delicious. I don't generally like green olives but this was a cerignola olive, not too briny, really meaty and much better than the pimento stuffed ones that come by the gallon.





We ordered a 1/2 dozen Blue Point oysters. Being from Long Island I feel like I should really love oysters, especially Blue Points, but I don't. I'll have 2 or 3 of the smaller ones with lemon and cocktail sauce and I'm good. Ron, on the other hand, could eat at least a dozen on his own.




We also ordered a salad nicoise to split. It was a standard nicoise with really good ingredients: tuna (the good, olive oil packed kind), potatoes, haricot verts, red onion, grape tomatoes, and cucumbers all tossed with a light vinaigrette on top of butter lettuce topped with a sliced hard boiled egg and anchovies. It was nice and light - all of their salads looked so good but we were happy with our choice.





We'll be back but next time we'll bring friends! I can't wait to try some of the other items on their menu. Everything looked so good!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you ever think of going into journalism?? And by the way, ready this makes me hungry.. Miss you and love you

amycaseycooks said...

Even though I just ate breakfast, I could eat that plate of oysters right now. They are my favorite. Going out for drinks and small plates is my way to dine.

eatingoodinthehood@gmail.com said...

Small, shared plates are my favorite too. I think people tend to have a better time when they're eating off each others plates - it encourages conversation and keeps the meal casual. I always suggest tapas when I'm going out with a group!