Saturday, May 30, 2009

Memorial Day/Birthday BBQ!

I already told you about the Bacon Explosion we had last weekend at my friend Mike's birthday BBQ but that's not the only thing we ate!

Ron made chicken wings and I made ribs. The ribs were so easy - I just covered the ribs with salt, pepper and BBQ rub and put them in the oven covered with foil for 3 hours at 300 degrees. At the party I covered them with BBQ sauce and put them on the grill to reheat. The birthday boy enjoyed them!



I also made a few new salads - the crowd favorite was this beet and barley salad. I cut up and roasted three beets and added them to the cooked barley but I didn't love the texture. I suggest roasting the beets whole wrapped in foil and dicing them after they're cooked. I added feta cheese, diced red onion, sliced scallions, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper to the salad. I can't wait to make this again with extra beets!



I wanted to do a new potato salad so I tossed the potatoes with spinach and basil pesto and peas - like the pasta, pesto and peas salad I always make but, duh, with potatoes instead of pasta. I also made an israeli couscous salad with grilled asparagus, red and green peppers, red onion, and scallion. I had zucchini on the grill too but I forgot about them and they were far to charred to serve! Oops. The vinaigrette was lemon juice, olive oil, honey, mustard, salt and pepper.



I also made my favorite chocolate chip cookies with pecans and since Mike, like me, is a peanut butter junkie I made these really, really good peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. They got a little crumbly in the bags but no one seemed to mind!



I told the lovely Marybeth about Mike's love of peanut butter so she made these butterscotch, peanut butter rice krispy treats. Oh man, yum!



That's a tomato pie box next to the rice krispy treats - a couple of our friends brought these and they were a great addition to the party. Friends also brought fresh fruit salad, homemade salsa and guac and lots of beer! I ate way too much, drank some beers, got a little sun, and got to see lots of good friends - now that's what I'd call a successful party. Thanks for coming guys!

No comments: