Monday, August 18, 2008

My First Catering Job!

I had a busy 8/08/08.  In addition to the kick ass 80's party I attended I also catered a six person dinner party in a fancy penthouse apartment in Center City - but I didn't take ONE picture.  Not one!  Unbelievable!  And I call myself a blogger? 

But since this is my first catering gig I'm still going to give you the menu and link the dishes to the recipes I used to inspire me.  Just use your imagination.  The hostess likes light and healthy and I wasn't serving the meal so it had to be something that could be served cold or easily reheated.  I went sort of French Bistro-esque.

APPETIZERS
Crudite
Smoked Salmon and Lemon Cream Cheese rolled in Herb Crepes  - I got this recipe from Epicurious - I used cucumbers instead of radishes and mixed them right into the cream cheese.  So good - I couldn't stop eating the ends!

FIRST COURSE
Fresh Pea Soup with dollop of Low Fat Sour Cream  - Another Epicurious recipe - this was a beautiful bright green and after I put it through a sieve (which got a little bit messy!) it was really silky.  I decided to top it with low fat sour cream because, like I said, the hostess is fairly health conscience.  But I'm sure creme fraiche would be really good.

MAIN COURSE
Nicoise Salad with Seared Tuna - Basic Nicoise with boiled potatoes, blanched haricot verts, olives, lemon vinaigrette.  Instead of the olive oil packed tuna I used fresh, seared ahi that I marinated in the same lemon vinaigrette.  The whole salad went over mixed greens - I thought this was just perfect for a warm day!

DESSERT
Peach and Raspberry Galette - Another great recipe from Smitten Kitchen.  I've made her mushroom stilton galette and her butternut squash gallete but I hadn't made a sweet one until now.  I used local Jersey peaches and raspberries - the only problem with this is that I can't taste test it!  It looked pretty and I didn't hear anything bad so I'm hoping my notice baking skills were okay.

Thanks to MB for hooking me up with Megan and getting me this little catering gig.  I'm hoping it's something I can keep doing.  Megan owns an awesome bar in the Fairmount park of town called The Bishop's Collar and was nice enough to hand over this little job to me!  

No comments: