Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Eatin' Healthy (and still good!) in the Hood & CSA #2

I generally eat pretty healthy but I don't really blog about our quick weeknight meals because, well, we eat them too quickly to take photos! But...I recently joined Fusion Gym in Philly and their 10 week boot camp (NBC is highlighting some people in my class - check it out here). I want to be able to share some of my healthier recipes with my fellow boot campers so I'm really going to try to post more of our healthy weeknight meals. I also made a goal to bring lunch to work at least 4 times a week - so maybe I'll post some lunches too!

I'm behind on posting about my CSA - we've gotten three and each one has been a little better then the one before. This is what we got for our second CSA:

Strawberries - Fifer Orchards, Wyoming, DE
Asparagus - Fifer Orchards, Wyoming, DE
Snow Peas - Lancaster County, PA
Arugula - Graiff Farms, Vineland, NJ
Beets - Flaim Farms, Vineland, NJ
Cheese - Cowtipper, Calkins Creamery, PA
Dairy Option - choose one: 1 dozen Free-Range Eggs, 2 Pequea Valley Yogurts, 1/2 Gallon Hormone-free Milk, or 1/2 lb. Amish-style Butter (we got yogurts, I still haven't eaten them!)
Meat Shares - Whole Chicken - Griggstown Quail Farm, NJ (still in my freezer!)

We ate the strawberries right away - they were super tasty, just like the ones in our first pick up. The asparagus was grilled to go with a weeknight meal. Ron made this snow pea and shrimp stir fry with brown rice that was really quick, easy and healthy - it's going to become a regular meal for us!

I used the arugula in this:


SO good and super easy. For two servings I just sauteed two big handfuls of arugula in some olive oil and garlic then added about 1/2cup of part skim ricotta and about a 1/2cup of chopped tomatoes (I used canned), salt, pepper and some red chili flakes. Meanwhile cook about 4-5oz of whole wheat linguine. When the pasta is finished toss it with the sauce - if the sauce is a little dry just add a bit of the pasta water. We threw in some grilled chicken because we had it on hand. I've made this with spinach too, but really any green would work.

No comments: