Saturday, January 10, 2009

Orange Madeleines

I'm searching for recipes with orange in them. My sister sent Ron really great florida oranges for Christmas and we've eaten a bunch but still have a few hanging out in the fridge and they're not going to last much longer. I'd hate to waste them! This madeleine recipe uses the orange zest in the batter and the juice in the glaze. I found this recipe over at the Technicolor Kitchen - it calls for poppy seeds which I didn't have but I'm sure would be delicious.

You start by making the super simple batter, letting it sit for 30 minutes in the fridge then pouring a heaping tablespoon into each mold of your madeleine pan. My pan is from
Fante's in the Italian Market, a really fabulous kitchen supply store. It's so packed with great stuff, I could wander around there for hours. You can order off their website too so check it out.



After you pour the batter, put the pan in a preheated 400° oven for 8-10 minutes. When madeleines are golden and poofed up take them out and let the them cool on a wire rack. They should look like this:



Make the glaze using confectioners sugar, fresh orange juice and a bit of the zest. Dip the cooled madeleines in the glaze and let them cool before storing or...eat them immediately! These little cakes are going to be really good with coffee in the morning.



Check out my new red apron! Well, it's new to me but definitely far from brand new. My mother found four of them in my Babcia's house (that's grandma for all you non-polish people out there) in four different colors and gave them to my sister and I for christmas (my mom and aunt got the other two). They're homemade and very vintagey cool - the only problem is that I'm afraid to wear it because I don't want to get it dirty! Sort of defeats the purpose of an apron, huh?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, what happened to the 12th in that last picture?? And thank you, Sa, there's a few tears, but I'm glad you like the apron, and Babcia would be happy, too!

eatingoodinthehood@gmail.com said...

What do you think happened to the 12th one? The same thing that's since happened to the 11th. I can't not test them! And I LOVE the apron and the ornaments :)

Anonymous said...

The oranges have been amazing... but this may have been the best use of them... Holy crap are these good!

Anonymous said...

Those look so yummy SaSa! Glad you guys like the oranges...we have them and Strawberries coming out of our ears down here (I ate an ENTIRE flat of strawberries in 4 days last week!).
You should take a picture of you in the apron and really show it off. You look way better in it than I do! Or maybe we should let your fans be the judge of that!

Manger La Ville said...

I just got a madeleine pan and I can't wait to try these. I love the orange glaze.

eatingoodinthehood@gmail.com said...

Eri - does that mean I have permission to post the photo of you in your apron?
Manger La Ville - Oh there are so many good recipes for madeleines out in the blogesphere! I do think the glaze is an absolute necessity unless, of course, you dip them in chocolate.

Anonymous said...

post away Sa...I have to admit, it is quite amusing!