Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Duck, Duck...

Goose!  Ron and I got our hands on 4 goose breasts from one of my mom's coworkers who shot them himself (thanks Rudy!).  They've been sitting in the freezer for a little while now because I had no idea what to do with them.  They're skinless so I worried they would dry out - especially after I asked one of the chefs that I work what'd he do with them and he replied "throw them in the trash".  Well you know what?  He was wrong...oh so wrong. 

I started by splitting one breast and rubbing both halves with olive oil and seasoning them with salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme.



Next I started a side of lentils with mushrooms and turnip greens (inspired by this recipe over at Cooking Books - luckily there are leftovers that I can top with a poached egg!).  I put some french lentils in boiling water with a bay leaf, salt, pepper and a couple of crushed garlic cloves.  They took about a half an hour.  While they were boiling I sauteed some garlic and mushrooms, after a few minutes I added a quarter cup or so of red wine.  Once the wine boiled out I added some turnip greens, balsamic vinegar and seasoned to taste.  While the greens wilted I started the duck. 



I cooked the goose 4 minutes per side.  When it had just about 30 seconds left in the pan I added about a quarter cup balsamic.  The vinegar quickly got syrupy and sweet, I coated the goose in it and then took it out to rest before slicing it on a bias.  

 

I tossed the cooked lentils into the pan with the greens and mushrooms and served up this:


Oh it was good.  The goose was perfectly cooked and the lentils were really good.  I'm looking forward to using the other three breasts in my freezer!  Goose prosciutto perhaps?

3 comments:

jem said...

We got goose breasts one year from our neighbor that hunts as well. Here's how we handled them. A marinade of red wine, fresh thyme, salt and pepper. Then a wrap in bacon and grilled. Yum.

Anonymous said...

That sounds awesome too!
We have three more, I'm gonna try this one.

me said...

That sounds great I will try some too. I have some pheasant that I got when I pick up my puppy. Let my know if you want some.