Sunday, July 26, 2009

Birthday Cake!

I'm always looking for a good reason to practice my baking because having giant cakes and whole batches of cookies in the house when it's just me and Ron can be dangerous! But special occasions like birthdays are the perfect excuse. When we got invited to a friends birthday BBQ this weekend I immediately volunteered to make a cake. I've been wanting to make this Pink Lady Cake since I saw it on Smitten Kitchen. I'm not a huge cake fan but this batter has a whole cup and a half of pureed strawberries in it - taking it from ordinary to perfectly summery. I even decorated it a little bit without making a gigantic mess!


Deb suggests adding some dye to make the cake pinker, I didn't mind the not-so-pink color because the strawberry flavor was so great. But if you're going for super pink, by all means add a few drops of food coloring.


The birthday girl really liked it and so did everyone else - this recipe is a keeper! Here are the remains:


Bring this cake to your next birthday party but be warned - this makes A LOT of batter. Like, cake batter spilling over the top of your mixer a lot. You might even curse a little bit and throw the parchment paper on the floor in a mini-fit. Not that I did that, but I just wanted to warn you that it's a definite possibility. I want to try adding a different fruit puree next time - maybe blueberries? Would that make it a Blue Lady Cake?

2 comments:

Christine said...

i was said birthday girl and this was the best birthday cake i've ever had! actually this might be the best cake i've ever had. mmmmmmmm.

Wenni Donna said...

Luscious birthday cake. Loved it and want to try it as it looks yummy. Have to plan a surprise birthday party on my friend’s birthday at one of event venue Chicago. Will do only fresh flowers and balloons decorations on her special day. She will definitely like it.