Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tuna Tartare - I'm so obviously unemployed

I finished up my job on Friday and now I'm making Tuna Tartare at 3pm on a Tuesday.  Sort of sad - right?  I was hoping that it would remind me of the delicious tartare I had in Easton, PA (of all places!) at The River Grille.  There's had this really great crunch that I was hoping I could duplicate with adding onions and cucumber but it wasn't the same.   

I started by chopping up some cucumber, red onion, garlic, nicoise olives, parsley and oregano then added some lemon zest, salt and pepper.


I diced up about a quarter pound of ahi tuna and mixed it with the other ingredients.  I added a little bit of olive oil, some lemon juice, salt and pepper.  Nice looking piece of tuna huh?



I made a little salad as a side with watercress, parsley, nicoise olives and grape tomatoes.  It was dressed really simply with lemon juice, olive oil, s&p.



The final product looked really pretty!  I formed it using a small Tupperware container.  I toasted up some pita to make pita chips for dipping.



Fancy, right?  I missed the little bit of sweetness you get with Asian inspired tartare like the one I had at River Grille - this was more Mediterranean.  But I've still got half of a piece of tuna left to play with - maybe I'll try a different tartare tomorrow!

2 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

that is a fine lookin' hunky tuna! unfortunately, fresh sushi grade tuna is SOOO expensive here. Though, that's kinda dumb - I live in a state that's surrounded 3 sides by water!

eatingoodinthehood@gmail.com said...

This tuna was only $11 a pound! This piece (enough for two) was only about $5. I can't rave about Reading Terminal enough - their seafood stands are awesome. I got some cleaned calamari tubes too - I'm thinking of making your salt and pepper squid tomorrow!